In the NEws
• Survivors of Clergy Sexual Abuse Press Vatican for Answers,
• The Podium: Ripples of Abuse,
• Newark Shows Need for Transparency,
• Padres e Freiras Criam Grupo contra Abuso Sexual na Igreja nos EUA,
• David Cruz of NJ Today filed an informative story and video, "Church Sex-Abuse Victims Call on Dolan to Advocate for Myers' Ouster," providing excerpts of our first press conference on May 22, 2013.
• In Praise of Catholic Whistleblowers, by Rod Dreher, The American Conservative, May 21, 2013
• Real Christian Heroes Step Forward, by Michael D'Antonio, Huffington Post, May 21, 2013
• When the Church Can't Police Itself, Call in the Whistle-Blowers, by Scott Alessi, U.S. Catholic, May 2013
• Sheboygan Priest Founds Group to Help Crack Down on Sex Abuse, by Chuck Quirmbach, Wisconsin Public Radio and Superior Telegram, May 22, 2013
• Priests, Nuns Form Group to Keep Church Honest on Sex Abuse Issues, by Ben Feuerherd, National Catholic Reporter, May 24, 2013
• Church Sex-Abuse Victims Call on Dolan to Advocate for Myers' Ouster, by David Cruz, NJ Today, May 22, 2013.
• Church Whistle-Blowers Join Forces on Abuse, by Laurie Goodstein, New York Times, May 20, 2013
• Man Pleads with Diocese to Reopen Abuse Case, by Matthew McGrath and Abbott Koloff, The Bergen Record, May 16, 2013
• Newark Archdiocese Reaches New Settlement in Decades-Old Case of Alleged Sexual Abuse, by Mark Mueller, The Newark Star-Ledger, May 15, 2013
• Nutley Parish, Protesters Face Off over Pastor, by Denisa R. Superville and Jeff Green, The Bergen Record, May 13, 2013
• Appreciation for Those who Stood Up to Catholic Church Hierarchy: Editorial, The Newark Star-Ledger, May 11, 2013
• Former Pastor from Archbishop Myers' Time in Peoria Recalls Similar Abuse Allegation, NJ Today with Mike Schneider, May 6, 2013
• Three More Resign after Priest Was Allowed to Work with Kids despite Lifetime Ban, by Mark Mueller, The Newark Star-Ledger, May 5, 2013
• Letter to Pope Francis, Catholic Whistleblowers, April 29, 2013
• Priest Calls on Vatican to Investigate Newark Archbishop John J. Myers, by Mark Mueller, The Newark Star-Ledger, April 29, 2013
• Former Diocesan Advocate Criticizes Failed System in KC, by Joshua J. McElwee, National Catholic Reporter, November 8, 2011.
• Why I Started the Emily & Rosemary Fund, by Lynette Petruska, Voice of the Faithful, August 10, 2010
• Sheboygan Priest Works to Help Abuse Victims Heal, by Annysa Johnson, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, June 23, 2010
• Outing Cardinal Egan: A Priest's Lawsuit Alleges the Catholic Church Is Hiding Pedophile Clergy—and Offers a Stunning Reason Why, by Kristen Lombardi, Village Voice, February 7, 2006
• A Priest's Burden: He Now Seeks Censure of Allegedly Abusive Former Mentor, by Stephanie Saul, Newsday, June 17, 2002.
• Victims Then, Priests Later, by Bonnie Miller Rubin, Chicago Tribune, June 3, 2002
• Bitterness in Brooklyn Diocese over Abuse Case, by Daniel J. Wakin, NY Times, March 15, 2002
• The Problem of Sexual Molestation by Roman Catholic Clergy, by Mr. F. Ray Mouton, J.D. and Rev. Thomas P. Doyle, O.P. J.C.D, June 1985
• Letter from Bishop John M. D'Arcy to Cardinal Bernard Law Regarding Assignment to a Parish of Accused Priest John Geoghan, December 7, 1984
We’ve dedicated our lives to the church. Having sex offenders in ministry is damaging to our ministry.
“I joined the group because I had been badly ostracized because I blew the whistle. There was no support out there, and this group has been a lifeline.”
For any lasting change we must have a sincere acknowledgment from the Catholic bishops that they understand the problem and are willing to deal with it in an honest and forthright way.
The road map to a better church is by transparency, openness, vulnerability, suffering, resurrection and hope.